At gracillaria cultivation in ponds required maintenance doors drains so that water changes can be easily done. Things to do in care are:
1) Clean the crop of plants and mud annoying, so it does not obstruct the plants from the sun and get food.
2) If there is trash that stick, rope lift slowly, so that garbage can involve dissolve back.
3) If there is a stretch of loose rope knot, rotted or broken, immediately corrected by means megencangkan bond or replace with a new rope.
4) Beware of ice-ice disease, that is the sign of white patches on the sea grass. If there are such signs, the plants should be discarded, because it can transmit the disease to other plants. If left unchecked, the plants will lose color to white and finally easily broken.
5) To avoid ice-ice disease, perform monitoring of each plant, so if there is a white plant could be done cutting. Another way to avoid ice-ice disease is by lowering the position of the plant deeper to reduce panetrasi amount of sunlight, because the disease usually occurs in areas that are too high crops with surface water. Because it is suggested that the plant is 1 meter below the water surface.
6) Hama seaweed to watch out for include: (a). Urchin larvae (Tripneustes sp) are planktonic floating in the water, and then attached to the plant. (b). Sea cucumbers (Holothuria sp) initially attach to and settle on the seaweed, then enlarged and can eat seaweed by inserting the tip of a branch of seaweed into the mouth. Although these pests invade a small effect on the cultivation area is quite wide, but still need to watch out. To avoid this, it could be the installation of nets in the area around the plant.
7) Substitution of water at least every three days during the ebb and tide. Replacement of water in the dry season is done more frequently than the rainy season. Maintaining the cleanliness of the pond by throwing dirt and other plants (grasses and other algae) as well as perform maintenance doors of water, sewerage and treatment pond embankment.
Maintenance which includes the supervision and maintenance of both budidya and plant construction must be done continuously so that the success of aquaculture will be maximal. The cultivation of Gracilaria in ponds of water quality observations can be done regularly in order to avoid contamination of ponds and phytoplankton blooms and macro-algae. The detection of the presence of pests and diseases as quickly as can be done with supervision as often as possible.
Figure 16. Maintenance of Gracilaria sp grown in ponds
Plant maintenance plays an important role to optimize its growth. Substitution of water (at least 60% every 15 days) will assist the entry of new nutrients in the pond, but when nutrients are still not sufficient for the growing needs of seaweed, it can be done fertilization 20 kg / ha every 15 days by using urea: TSP: ZA with a ratio of 1: 1: 1 or in accordance with the needs of farms.
Gracilaria require nutrients in growth such as nitrogen, phosphate and potash as well as oxygen. The nutritional quality of the pond water affect the use of fertilizers. In principle, the first four weeks, the plants require more nutrients nitrogen, whereas two or three weeks before harvest the plants require more nutrients phosphate. In addition seaweed spread evenly on the pond bottom should be maintained so that when seaweed started lush and accumulate at a certain point, should be distributed evenly in the pond.