Compared with salted fish processing, shade has several advantages:
1) The way of processing is simple and does not require expensive tools.
2) The result is a mature product that can be eaten without the need to be cooked first.
3) It fits with the taste of Indonesian people in general,
4) Can be eaten in relatively large quantities, so that the contribution of protein is large enough for the improvement of community nutrition.
When compared with the product of salting and drying, the production volume of pindang fish is still relatively small. This is due to several factors, including:
1) The durability of pindang fish is shorter when compared with salted fish.
2) The effort of pengindangan done on a small scale.
3) Sanitation and hygiene production of pindang fish is still low so it will affect the quality of the pindang fish produced.
Making Pindang Fish can be done in various ways, according to the type of fish and container used. In principle, making pindang fish consists of several stages, namely:
1) Selection of raw materials.
Fish that will be processed into pindang fish are separated according to type, size, and freshness level.
2) Preparation of equipment and materials.
Containers used for the process of shading can be made of clay or iron / zinc. If the fish is not prepared directly in boiling place, it is necessary basket of woven bamboo as a place to arrange fish. Other equipment and materials needed include knives, weights, cutting boards, strainers, water, and salt.
Figure 14. Weeding fish
3) Weeding and washing.
a) Large fish weeded by disposing of stomach contents, gills, and scales. The fish is cut and cut to the desired size.
b) Medium-sized fish only weeded out by removing the contents of the stomach, gills, and scales without the process of cleavage / cutting. Disposal of the stomach is done by pulling from the gill lid hole so that the stomach wall is not damaged or torn.
c) Fish washed using clean running water.
d) Fish drained in a basket with the position of the abdominal cavity facing down so that no water is stagnant in the cavity of the stomach.