Perifiton term is defined as a set of organisms (micro-sized) attached or settle on a substrate. While on the German-language literature, the term is used to replace the term Aufwuchs perifiton because it has a broader meaning. Aufwuchs is a group of organisms that attach or menentap on a substrate, including a group of animal or vegetable organism that moves slowly (creeping or crawling) on the substrate. This group, unlike the benthos, can not penetrate the substrate.
In this paper will be used perifiton, because only the group of organisms that remain attached only drawn when the substrate is removed from the water at the time of sampling, while the other group (as defined aufwuchs group) will escape or run away from the substrate. Based on the type of substrate attachment perifition can be classified:
1. epiphytic, which periphyton organisms that attach to parts of the plant, for example on the leaves, stems or roots of aquatic plants
2. Epizoich, the periphyton organisms that attach to the animal body parts water, for example in fish scales, turtle shells, and so forth.
3. Epipelic, the periphyton organisms attached to the mud benthic waters
4. Epilitic, periphyton organisms attached to rocks
5. Episammic, periphyton organisms attached to the grains of sand, for example, the grains of sand on the beach or in the river.
Pictures. Perifiton Halophila sp
In addition to the type of substrate is affected by the presence of periphyton, both the abundance of species and individuals, are influenced by climate, water currents, turbidity, water temperature and the presence of pollutants in the water. Therefore, in addition to knowledge of the periphyton is useful to know the productivity (fertility) a body of water can also be an indicator of water pollution.