Mucuna sp or plant Koro surly (Java) can be used as a plant that can produce high-protein seeds and could play a special function of the land rehabilitation. Mucuna seeds can be made tempeh or after boiling for 24 hours will be also mixed with cassava to improve the nutrition of cassava.
Some of the advantages of rehabilitation Iahan sleep with ground cover plants such as Mucuna Centrocema and include:
1. In addition to producing seeds, leaves of plants Mucuna eliminate toxins HCN high enough so as not palatable. Theft by reducing interference on grass can be overcome and the provision of soil organic matter with these plants is assured Iebih
2. Mucuna also very fast growing and can adapt to different types of soil such as calcareous soils (Alfisol) or on acid soils Podsolic.
3. The growth of Mucuna on barren land Iebih much better compared to other types of Ieguminosa such as lablab (Dolichus lablab), and cowpea.
Planting a cover crop (cover crop) before and after the oil palm seedlings planted aims to suppress the development of weeds, reducing the cost of weeding, reduce erosion, increase soil organic matter, maintain soil moisture, improves aeration and increase the reserves of nutrients, especially through the fixation of nitrogen-free air and transforming into the form provided.
The type of ground cover plants that meet these objectives is a plant LCC (Leguminosae) metastasized. In addition to beans, also known as a type of grass that can spread soft ground cover but its function is not as good as the type of legume cover crops. Legume cover crop planted on open land in anatara lane wooden hoarding. Materials used are several types of legume seeds with the ability to grow at least 90%. Beans planted in rows 2-3 between planting lines.
After 3 months, the land covered by the nuts with a closure rate of 75%. Nuts are used as a cover crop should meet the following requirements:
– Root system does not interfere with the main plant.
– Is not a serious competitor on the main crops in nutrient uptake and water.
– Easy to reproduce both vegetatively and generative.
– Rapid growth and has the potential to suppress weeds.
– Produce organic matter, either at the time gets full sun or in the shade.
– Resistant to pests, diseases and drought and is not a host plant for the main plant pests and diseases.
Mucuna bracteata long growth reached 1.4 m 20cm every day or every week. This calls may interfere with the growth of oil palm plantations on the TBM (Immature Produce). For that we need a rotation weeding regularly to get more affective and efficient. Weeding is done by mambuang all the weeds from the soil surface, so that the dish was really clean. Careful monitoring is an important factor for the success of weeding.
There are several kinds of Mucuna varying ages of 4, 8, and 12 months, for the rehabilitation efforts of idle land should be used aged 8-12 months as it can produce forage material Iebih lot.
Figure 15. Plant ground cover mucuna sp