Bentos are aquatic organisms that live in bottom waters. observations on benthic biological parameters generally confined to makrobentos. Sampling benthic organisms can be done in a simple way, especially for shallow littoral areas (edges). Some larvae of arthropods can be retrieved using Surber net, while for some kind of mollusk because it has a large size can be done without the help of special equipment.
Makrobentos making in the area of the edge of lake or reservoir carried by the line transect method, namely by drawing a line parallel to the line the banks of waterways. Observations were made at 1 meter area on the right and left along the transect line. The larvae of arthropods taken by filtering the base substrate using Surber net (sieve flour) and identified. Sampling of benthic can use eickman grab if the samples are taken in waters muddy or flooded, the use eickman grab samples conducted to determine the moment.
Alternatively, you can also use nets Surber on samples taken in the flowing waters.
Ways of working :
Grab Sampling Using Eickman
(1) The two hemispheres scraper Eickman Grab opened up wide open and hook the wire remand on a link on the top of the tool.
(2) scraper in put vertically and slowly into the water to touch the bottom of the water.
(3) Then drop pembeban metal along the rope holder so that the two parts of the Crab Eickman closed, and mud as well as animals that are in the bottom waters will be collected in dredged.
(4) Eickman in gently pull upwards and its contents poured into a basin that has been provided.
(5) The rubbish of the dumped dredged later benthic animals carefully selected and put into a sample bottle containing 70% alcohol
(6) Samples were taken again at a different place
Sampling Using sieves
(1) Decision benthic done with a sieve.
(2) sieves put up in the bottom waters.
(3) Raise the sieve and separated by a mud benthic bentos and then enter into the bottle.
(4) Samples were taken again at a different place
(5) Label each sample vials and given a 70% alcohol.
How it works in the Laboratory
(1) Take a sample that has been preserved. Pour into a container that has been provided and randomly drawn one by one with tweezers and placed in another container while it sorted.
(2) Samples were sorted than starting from the numbers A, B, C, D and so on, and then see whether similar or not.
(3) The observations carried out on the table. The kind that are considered equal by the same code and means belonging se “Run”. This is done no matter whatever kind, the origin of a series of samples was considered equal.
(4) Make observations until all the samples run out, write down all of the data in the workbook, and then calculating the index of benthic diversity.