Natural resources are an important asset in driving development in an area, so that the management of natural resources becomes a strategic issue to be decided in a fair, transparent and sustainable. Accordance with the spirit contained in Law No. 32 of 2004 on Regional Government, the watershed management strategies that cut across the region are:
1) Build agreement and understanding between the regions in the management of cross-regional watershed.
Each region understand the concept / hydrological mechanism that occurs naturally in the utilization of natural resources, which highlights the mechanism hydrological characteristics between one region to another. This mechanism will minimize the effect of exclusive control of natural resources by the regions that have natural resources in excess. A shared commitment to build a sustainable watershed management system and to obtain a balance and harmony between the interests of economic, ecological and social. This joint commitment is a step.
2) Build a strong legislation. Public policy in natural resource management will have the power of controlling people’s behavior (public) if confirmed by the legal system (legal) firm and clear. Legalization of watershed management regulate human behavior in relation to the management of natural resources Legalization give power and authority.
3) Increasing the role of institutions (institutional) Institutional is a complex legal system, a complex, which includes the ideology, laws, customs, rules, habits that can not be separated from the environment. Institutional set up what to do or what not to do (forbidden) by individuals (individuals or organizations) or the conditions under which individuals can mengerjalan something.
Therefore, institutional is a tool or instrument that governs the relationship between individuals. Structuring the river basin management to be very central, and one of the products is a very important institution of public policy. Public policy in watershed management needed to deal with complex problems in regulating the behavior of people in the running system.
Understanding the role of the community in the framework of governance and development by a variety of very different people, this can be explained as follows:
1) The attitude of community cooperation to the way to meetings on development, asking questions and others, are considered a form that the public has a role as well.
2) Organizing community groups such as meetings where government officials can give speeches about development, researchers present the results of his research and others, regarded as a form of participation of the community
3) Individuals, groups, communities or institutions that are active in providing the necessary information to plan development programs are effective, it is also considered as evidence of society have participated.
4) The public directly or through a representative to participate in decisions about everything concerning himself as the development goals, methods of implementation and ways evaluation is a form of participation of the other.
5) People make a direct contribution in the form of financing for development as an expression of the public in participating.
Of the five forms of participation above that foster a sense of responsibility and a form of participation which is quite appropriate is where the community participate in making decisions, so they will try to obey or follow each decision they set themselves.