Based on the level of development or stability of the structure of the soil, the soil structure can be divided into several levels, namely:
- Weak ie if a grain of soil structure can be seen, remains damaged and destroyed when taken from the soil profile to be checked.
- Being that if the soil structure has a grain structure that is rather strong and not crumble when taken from the profile to be checked.
- Strong ie if the soil structure has a grain of soil structure is not damaged when taken out of the soil profile and is not destroyed even if moved about.
Based on the size of the Soil Structure
1) The shape of the structure of the plate, Granular and crumb can be divided into
- very fine / thin if the soil structure size <1 mm.
- fine if the structure of land measuring 1-2 mm.
- being if the soil structure measuring 2-5 mm.
- coarse / thick if the soil structure measuring 5-10 mm.
- very rude if the structure of land measuring> 10 mm.
2) To form a rounded and blocky blocky structure angled:
- very smooth, if the soil structure has a size of <5 mm.
- fine, if the soil structure has a size of 5-10 mm.
- currently, if the soil structure has a size of 10-20 mm.
- rough, if the soil structure has a size of 20-50 mm.
- very rough, if the soil structure has a size> 50 mm.
3) To form a prismatic structure and pole:
- Very fine / thin, if the soil structure has a size of <10mm.
- Smooth, if the soil structure has a size of 10-20 mm
- Average, if the soil structure has a size of 20-50 mm.
- Coarse / thick, if the soil structure has a size of 50-100 mm.
- Very rough, if the soil structure has a size> 100 mm.
Soil formed with high rainfall areas generally have a top layer of granular soil structure (top soil) is a horizon A and blocky structure in horizon B or below the soil layer (sub-soil). Soil structure can evolve from single grains or massive condition. Soil with good structure has a good air system, the elements – nutrients are more readily available and easily cultivated land. Good soil structure is that the rounded shape so that the inter-granular soil can not bersing-dependents meeting.
As a result, many soil pores are formed. Besides, the structure of the soil should not be damaged so that the soil pores are not easily closed. Soil structure can modify the texture effect in relation to the humidity, porosity, nutrient availability, activities and changes in the bodies of living roots. Soil structure is practically affect soil aeration and draenase, thus limiting plant growth.
Cropping systems that were able to maintain the stability of soil aggregates will give high yields for agricultural production. Soil structure is very influential in the field of agriculture. Soil as a growing medium for plants be decisive how the harvest will be obtained. If the structure is too stable it would be hard to penetrate the roots, otherwise if the stability of the structure is too weak then the availability of nutrients and water will be slightly because the land can not bind nutrients and water with strong, therefore it takes a balanced soil structure.