Reservoir is a large pond where water is stored preparations for various needs. Reservoirs can be naturally occurring or man-made. Artificial reservoirs are built in a way to make the dam and the water flowed until the reservoir is full. Dam or dam construction is built to withstand the rate of water into the reservoir, lake or recreation areas. Often dams are also used to provide water to a hydroelectric plants.
Most of the dam also has a section called the floodgates to dispose of unwanted water gradually or sustainable. Materials building dikes usually hard wood such as wood Ulin of Borneo shraap rain, even many people expressed even stronger when exposed to water.
Increased agradasi riverbed in the area of the fan can be controlled deposition and thus the flow of the river in this area is not easy to move. In order to further stabilize and prevent the degradation of the river channel in the area this precipitation fan, then built dams consolidation (consolidation dam). So weir consolidation does not function to hold or accommodate excessive sediment.
If the elevation of the riverbed has been exploited by their dams consolidation, then the riverbed degradation caused by scour can be prevented. Thus it can be prevented also building collapse retrofitting existing slope on the part of the river. Further consolidation dams can also curb the shifting river channels and can prevent the occurrence of sandbars.
The locus of consolidation weir determined based on the purpose of manufacture with the following requirements:
– For the purpose of the prevention of the degradation of riverbeds, dams placed on the consolidation of the river segment is essentially always decreases. The distance between each weir is based on considerations stable slope of the river.
– If there are creeks, must be considered placement consolidation dams at locations situated downstream of the mouth of the creek.
– For the purpose of prevention of scouring on a building foundation soil layers rivers, dams consolidation is placed on the downstream side of the building.
– To avoid erosion and levee on rivers rapids and prevent the collapse of the slopes and landslides, dams consolidation placed directly on the legs of embankments, slopes leg and foot of the mountain from being secured.
– When building a series of dams consolidation combined with the strengthening of the cliff, the distance between each adjacent weir so diarnbil 1.5 to 2.0 times the width of the river.
Embung is building water conservation shaped pool that is intended to collect rain water or water runoff and other sources of water which is then used to kepetingan agriculture, plantation, farming, fishing and others. Generally ponds built in the area that is dry or water shortage and hilly / slope. As an illustration to explain the position of ponds can be seen in the image below:
Figure 40. The position of reservoirs in the slope / hill