To ensure kebehasilan seaweed farming it must be done rigorously maintained during the growth period, not only to plants themselves but also cultivation facilities were used. Therefore the role of the manager (cultivators) seaweed is necessary to minimize the possibility of damage khsusunya unpredictable forces of nature.
In the maintenance of seaweed there are some problems that are often faced by seaweed farmers, among others:
1) Damage caused by the construction of the plant and the current movement of the waves and the destruction of the fishing with nets or explosives or toxic materials.
2) The condition is called “ice-ice”. Ice-ice often wrongly interpreted as a disease, but actually it is a symptom of stagnant water and rising temperatures.
3) fish that eat the seaweed and epiphytic plants (various types of algae growing on seaweed)
4) The lack of planting material or a good seed.
5) physiological damage as a result of the flow of fresh water.
While the cultivation of Eucheuma on the beach / ocean, waves and currents bring nutrients will play. But besides that, it will bring the solids particles will stick to the seaweed thallus that would interfere with the process of photosynthesis. In addition it will also inhibit the attachment of biofouling process of growth of seaweed as food than as filters can also block the light intensity into seaweed.
Maintenance which includes the supervision and maintenance of both cultivation and plant construction should be carried out continuously so that the successful cultivation of the maximum. Construction of cultivation must be maintained from the damage caused by natural or decrease if the durability of materials. Large waves can cause uprooting stakes, anchors and rope breaking ris and the main ris. Any damage that occurs due to the influence of wind and waves, like the construction damage or raft position, straps are loose or broken, immediately corrected.
Cleaning of waste or various tacks on the raft and the seaweed was also carried out on the same occasion, and where necessary seeds are damaged or detached from the bond is replaced with a new one. Observation and treatment carried out with a frequency between 3 times a week up to 1 week. The more often done in the field of controlling the sea grass plants will also be more awake quality and quantity.
The reduced durability of materials and knocked stakes, raft or rope break or ris ris main. In order maintenance should be performed daily supervision and improvement of damaged parts immediately. Delays in repairs causing bigger losses due to the increasing number of plants are lost.